Volume 33 | Issue 5/6 | May/June 2007 | “The Role of Legislation in Changing Policy and Practice"
This issue of Connections is dedicated to some innovative applications of and thoughtful reflections on several pieces of legislation that have dramatically changed the lives of those people who we love, parent, teach, assist, advocate, and care about who experience disabilities. It covers a range of topics that at first glance may appear disconnected, but when read as a whole represent the power of legislation when people use vision, evidence-based practice and their values to guide implementation.
- Judith E. Heumann and Ed Sontag, Fulfilling the Promise to Students With Disabilities.
- Tom Nerney, A Self-Determination Agenda.
- Stephen F. Gold, Ashley and Civil Rights Violations.
- Sarah Castle and Ann Cody, It's Time to Level the Playing Field.
- Leslie Lederer, Kentucky's Student-Directed IEP Program.
- Charles Dukes and Pamela Lamar-Dukes, The University as a "Door Opener" for Adults on the Autism Spectrum.